Home Lifestyle How Do I Qualify for Canadian Immigration?

How Do I Qualify for Canadian Immigration?

How Do I Qualify for Canadian Immigration

Canada invites thousands of skilled foreigners yearly to apply for a Permanent Residence (PR) visa. There are set standards individuals must meet to qualify for Canada immigration. Let’s discuss the available options and qualifications.

Options for Immigration to Canada

The most common ways to immigrate to Canada on a PR visa include the following: 

  • Express Entry System (EE) for trade workers and professionals.
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) for those who fail to meet EE cut-off points.

The eligibility criteria for the two programs are similar. Each PNP may have a different procedural requirement. Some PNPs may accept applicants with low immigration points and poor English language proficiency.

Other immigration options to Canada include:

  • Business Investor Program (CAD$150,000 minimum investment)
  • Work Permit (Canadian Employer LMIA)
  • Study Visa (Undergraduate or Graduate)

Canadian immigration standards are set by: 

  • The Canadian Immigration Authority
  • The Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada, IRCC

Read Also: How Do I Find Housing in a New City?

Requirements for the Express Entry Program

The IRCC evaluates the express entry applications based on the following six factors:


The minimum application age is 18, with no upper age limit. Those between the ages of 18 and 35 receive the most points.


Higher secondary education is the lowest qualification needed. Some occupations may need more advanced skills. Applicants must submit an Educational Credential Assessment, or ECA, from a recognized evaluating agency. The assessment shows eligibility under Canadian educational standards.

Work History

The following are the necessary job experiences for each of the three Express Entry categories:

  • Federal Skilled Worker, FSW: at least one year of full-time job experience within the last ten years. The more experience one has, the more immigration points one gets.
  • Federal Skilled Traders, FST: at least two years of full-time job experience in a skilled trade within five years.
  • Canadian Express Class, CEC: at least one year of recent, relevant, skilled work experience in Canada.

Language Proficiency

Applicants must be proficient in French or English. They must also provide recognized language test results, such as IELTS and CELPIP. The following are the minimum language needs for each of the three Express Entry categories:

  • FSW: Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for total language skills. These skills include speaking, listening, reading, and writing
  • FST: Speaking and hearing CLB 5 and reading and writing CLB 4
  • CEC: CLB 7 for National Occupation Classification (NOC) 0 or A jobs. CLB 5 for NOC B occupations


If a spouse has a CLB 4 level of language competence or has previous educational or professional experience in Canada, an applicant gains points for adaptability.

Arranged Employment

Having an arranged job offer from Canada earns significant applicant points.

To be eligible for application in the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) category, one must receive a minimum of 67 points. Applicants should also keep required documents close at hand, such as:

  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Paperwork proving financial stability

Consultants for Canada Immigration

Are you considering moving to Canada? Find a consultant to guide you through the Canada immigration process. With the help of an expert, you can increase your chances of a successful application.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here